Updated: Apr 13
I recently made homemade Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast. They are not only huge but fluffy and oh so yummy! These are perfect for any occasion and makes 22-24 large buns. Enjoy and be sure to tag me on #SugardustLLC if you make them!
Prep time: 3 hours (this includes time to rise)
4 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 cups of warm milk (I use Almond Milk)
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature (pasture-raised farm fresh eggs are best)
1 tsp of coarse sea salt
2/3 cup of unsalted butter, softened in the microwave
8 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 cup salted butter, sliced into 1 tsp sized chunks
6 Tbsp good quality cinnamon
2 cups of light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp almond extract
3 sticks of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups of powdered sugar
2-3 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1. To the bowl of your mixer using a dough hook, add the instant yeast, warmed milk, sugar, butter, eggs and flour. Mix on low until well incorporated - roughly 10 minutes. Your dough will start to unstick from the sides of your bowl and look silky.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl and temporarily place on a plate while you lightly oil the inside of your mixing bowl (I use olive oil). Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot to rise for 60 minutes until dough has doubled in size.
3. While dough is rising, combine ingredients for filling in microwavable safe bowl. Set aside for now.
4. Grease a 12 x 18 (half sheet size) baking pan with butter or baking spray.
5. Remove dough from warm spot and place on lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a ball and slice in half (place one half to the side while you work on 2nd half). Roll the dough into a 16 x 20" rectangle. Dough will be slightly thinner than 1/4".
6. Place the bowl with your filling in the microwave to melt - 30 second increments until soft and spreadable (NOT hot and bubbly).
7. Carefully pour half of your filling mixture onto your rolled dough. Use a rubber spatula or a spoon to gently spread it all around, covering your dough evenly.
8. Starting at the bottom of your rectangle (the short side), gently roll your dough all the to the other side. Lightly moisten the edge with water to seal it.
9. With a pastry cutter or large knife, slice the dough in 1" - 1 1/4" increments. Reshape each slice so it's round, then place into your baking pan (4 across x 6 down). Repeat steps 7-9 with the 2nd half of your dough and filling.
10. Cover pan with a damp towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise again for 45 - 60 minutes until at least doubled in size.
11. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
12. Place your pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until they are golden brown. You may need to rotate your pan halfway through to ensure even baking.
13. While the rolls are baking, make your frosting by beating all of your icing ingredients together until smooth, creamy and fluffy (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for this).
14. Remove the rolls from the oven.
15. Spoon half of your frosting into a large microwave safe measuring cup (I use a large glass one with a pouring spout) and microwave for 30-45 seconds until it reaches a pourable consistency.
16. Carefully pour the melted frosting onto your cinnamon rolls. Repeat this process with remaining frosting. Enjoy!